Tuesday, September 15, 2015

You can't win if you don't play

I submitted a "letter of interest" to the Grammy Foundation Grant Program (https://www.grammy.org/grammy-foundation/grants), asking for $10K over two years. Their stated focus on the "medical and occupational well-being of music professionals" led me to talk this angle up a bit, like so:
Another potential benefit of an accurate fingering model is being able to emphasize ergonomic principles when appropriate. Allsop and Ackland recently reported that 71.9% of professional pianists have experienced "playing-related muscular disorders." Among all pianists, more than half of such complaints were in areas distal from the upper arm. It therefore seems likely that fingering choices contribute significantly to occupational injuries among pianists.
And this led me to add a few relevant questions about (hand and wrist) postures and injuries to (part 2 of) the survey. Since we are held up by the IRB, I figured I might as well make virtue out of necessity. I hope to run these new questions past IB today (and BDE tomorrow).

And last night, on another whim, I applied for a Qualtrics Behavioral Research Grant (http://www.qualtrics.com/innovation-exchange/research-grants/). Or at least I think I did. I didn't receive any email confirmation. Their max is $3K.

You can't win if you don't play.

No comments:

Post a Comment