Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Dactylize comes alive

We have finally come up with a design for automatically collecting fingering data from actual performances that I think has a good chance of working (details to follow).

There are two catches. First, we will be attaching very light wired "sensors" (actually just connection points) to the pianist's unsuspecting finger tips. Minimizing the effects of these sensors on performance is a design challenge that we will need to address.

Second, and more important for this email, we will be making some modifications to the keyboard itself. These modifications should not damage the keyboard, but they are not things I would want to see done to a digital piano I cared about.

Therefore, I am considering two options. First, I have a very old and cheap 61-key keyboard (a Roland EP5) that I would happily donate to the cause. It is velocity sensitive, but does not have a weighted action. It is very nearly beneath *my* contempt. Indeed, I may use it for prototyping just for spite.

Option two is to purchase a $500 Casio Privia PX-160. This keyboard has a remarkably good graded hammer action that seems to be the best at this price point. In my almost utterly worthless opinion, it is reasonably comparable to the actions in the piano lab at UIC, but of course opinions will vary on this point. Anyway, it is the best keyboard I can afford with the grant money I have left.

My question to you: Is it worth it to have a graded hammer action? Part of the data we want to collect is a reasonably nuanced MIDI performance. I think it will help in this regard, and it should be more enjoyable for subjects to play. But I could also spend this money to compensate subjects. They would enjoy that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment