Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Arduino, ho!

Okay, I decided to spend something like 50 bucks and get components that should allow me to build a  crude initial prototype. I bought two of the cheapest inertial measurement units (IMUs) I could find, a feast of wires, and what should be an authentic Arduino Uno R3.

IMUs have both gyros and accelerometers onboard. Since I couldn't manufacture any strong reason to prefer one over the other, I figured I might as well cover both bases. It would be nice if we only needed one or the other, so the breakout boards could be smaller.

And why two IMUs? Well, I thought this would double my chances of getting a chip that actually worked. (Did I mention these were cheap?) Also, I think we might want two sensors on each hand--one on the thumb and one on the back of the hand. During periods of loud playing, the whole hand may be accelerating. We will probably want to discount acceleration detected by the thumb when the whole hand is accelerating. We will want to pay more attention to the CV input, especially since--I think--occlusion of the thumb will be less likely in these cases.

The stuff should be here in about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment